Pan Seared Salmon with Thai Curry Sauce
by Angelica Mastellos on April 21, 2021
For the marinade:
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 4 skin-on salmon fillets
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 3 scallions, minced
- 3-4 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup fish stock or low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Mix first five ingredients in a shallow dish. Add salmon, skin side up. Marinate in refrigerator for at least on hour, but no more than two hours.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté garlic, lemongrass, ginger, and scallions in peanut oil until limp, about ten minutes. Add red curry paste and cook an additional five minutes. Add remain stock and allow to simmer uncovered for fifteen minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in coconut milk, honey, and season with salt and pepper. Strain and reserve hot for plating. Remove salmon from marinade and pat dry with a clean paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil in a large skillet and place fish, skin side down, into oil. After about five minutes, turn fish and continue cooking for another six to eight minutes. Serve with curry sauce and steamed jasmine rice.